quinta-feira, 25 de novembro de 2004

Murphy's Law: can't say NO!!!

One of the first symptoms that you are a true and involved scout is forgetting how to say NO!!! Well this is not exactly applied only to scouts. I believe it happens when you are truly committed to a project, organization or event.
You become sort of masochist. You know you'll have a lot of work, you know it will need a lot of dedication, take a lot of your time, have to put up with a lot of problems, manage project teams of similar people in which deadlines are always flexible and never accomplished and you always have to work extra hours on top of the deadline. In the end most of people are happy, something didn't go as you expected, you keep saying that this is the last time and no one will get you again on one of these. You know exactly that things will go like this (sometimes this is an optimist picture), and even if your schedule is over booked you still can't say NO!!!
And if by any chance you have the smallest hesitation in accepting someone always shows up that always manage to convince you to do it.
This is a Murphy's Law: you can't say No even if you should...
Well... maybe not!!!

3 comentários:

Judith disse...

So for what did they convince you this time?
I don't think it's masochistic to help on a project. Even more if it's a Scout project and you had no time for it. And I know what I'm saying. My schedule is more than over-booked and I keep on saying yes. We sometimes are too good. What I'm trying to say is that some people are very good-natured and try to help wherever they can. Even if they want to withdraw or to do less things there's always someone who knows you enough to convince you. It's not always fair because soemtimes they take advantage of you and you can't do anything against it. You want to be a good scout or whatever and say YES although you mean NO. But that's life. And to be honest, I enjoy it although sometimes it's too much. Then I go on holidays or visit a friend and get enough power do start over again.

Carlos Eduardo disse...

Dind't convinced me of anything again...

That part of goign and visit a friend sounds very very interesting... are you offereing yourself? ;-)

Judith disse...

Already missing me? I was there two weeks ago. I'd like to come to Portugal again, but first you come to Switzerland.